Friday, January 20, 2006

Law School Acquisition, part n+1

This is me, trying to figure out what it is I'm really interested in before I go to law school. Though I suppose I'll figure it out eventually, anyway...

So, first of all, I'm interested in intellectual property law. Because it's important to me, because I find it interesting, because I have a background conducive to that specialization, because it's a huge mess right now and that fascinates me.

Also... I am interested in systems of law. Part of this is that I have a keen sense of the arbitrariness of the way things are (brief pause to permit parlor psychoanalysis...), and so I am often confused as to why things are one way and not another. My previous post on economics and the law was in the nature of a note to myself about this area of interest.

Here is a course I'd like to take, not that it's probably offered anywhere: Anarchy and the Law. Despite what most self-described, so-called anarchists seem to think, anarchy doesn't mean "no law," it means "no leaders." "Anarchy," said Edward Abbey, "is democracy taken seriously." So, how do anarchies function? (Do they function? Or do they necessarily collapse, once they've reached a certain size? And what size might that be?) It seems to me that certain groups with anarchist tendencies - Earth First! or Act Up, say - would be interesting case studies. How do anarchical groups avoid or work around the tragically flawed notion of concensus that has afflicted so many leftist groups? (Not that the left/right paradigm is necessarily very useful, either, in describing the politics of radical groups...)

I suppose this would fall into comparative law, history, and philosophy of law.

I'm interested, too, in religious and faith-based legal systems such as so-called "natural law" and the Catholic Church's legal system.

4 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger MT said...

Sounds like what you need is to go live on a kibbutz and study Talmud. Solve both your needs at once. I've never done either, but I lived in a ~100 person co-op once. It's kind of culty and the common areas tend to be a mess. Big free rider problem--hence the need for cultiness. Being dependent on and connected to the larger society I think undermines the cooperativity of your special rules-community, which I think may contribute to these things going culty and/or move out to the middle of nowhere. May be a bit cause and a bit effect.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Filch said...

Oh, good Lord. I don't want to live it, I just want to... I don't know, take a class in it, or read a really good article about it. Or maybe write one.

Your co-op experience interests me, though - would you be willing to expand on it? (Offline via email if you want, or I'd love to read it if you'd care to blog it yourself.)

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger MT said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Filch said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home